Sunday, September 27, 2009

2:59:46 - exhale






It's about time.  I have been trying for this for a long time.  I'm not going to pretend that I was in shape to break three hours for each of the 11 marathons I lined up for.  But, it has been a goal for a long time.


I am going to be pretty detailed in this post.  Not because I want to talk about myself, more because I want a record to look back at someday.  Alright, alright, maybe I do want to talk about myself for a while, but c'mon...who wouldn't want to talk about me?





First things first, Teresa did great, and got her PR with a 4:14:43...awesome!  Rae, our neighbor ran really well, not her fastest but much faster than needed for Boston.  Sam was impressive with a first time marathon of 3:50:00, Andy was on fire with a first time marathon of 3:25:00.  Nick had a tough day but hung in there.  He proved a lot by keeping-on even when his body was done.  Well done Nick!





Everyone did great and the support was perfect.  Chad and Lizzie were everywhere and really helped out.
____________________________________________________


This morning I felt pretty good.  I was really unsure how the day would go, but the weather looked right and I felt right.  It was cool at the start with a temp of about 56 degrees.  Perfect.


"Warm it up Chris, I'm about to, cause that what I was born to do."


The first mile I held back a bit and ran 6:55, it was hard to pull the reigns but I knew I had to.  The second mile comes off of 1-74 and I dropped down a bit but nothing out of control.  Miles 2.5 to 5 are hilly.  Up down, up down, but not too bad.  I think it helped to keep the pacing in check.


At mile 5, the course hit the bike trail along the river and runs all the way to mile 10 at the Centennial Bridge.  I ran pretty consistent through there and got to mile 10 in 1:08:12...right at 6:49 pace, right where I wanted to be.



 It was very sparse through the next bit.  Runners were spread out pretty well.  There was one guy ahead of me that I was gaining on.  He was tall, lean, with no shirt.  His kids were on the course and kept getting him water.  You could tell how proud they were to be watching their dad.  I caught up to him and shadowed him for a half mile or so.  He wasn't running the pace I wanted so I went ahead.  The next dude was wearing snazzy yellow Adidas shoes, black shorts, and a bright shirt...and gloves.  Not cold weather gloves, but weird fingerless driving type gloves.  I started on him next.


But first the half marathon runners and marathoners re-connected on the Island right after the 13.1 mark for us.  I hit the half at 1:29:35.  A little tighter than I had planned but I felt really good and controlled.  I wanted to go harder a couple of times, but held back.  Good thing.


Okay, back to the yellow Adidas glove dude.  I caught him about 3/4 of a mile later and shadowed him for a couple of minutes.  We spoke a few words to each other.  I always feel bad when you stalk someone for so long and then don't say a word.  He was slowing down, so I went on ahead.  

Up ahead was the 3rd place woman.  She looked really strong and I was nervous to take her on too much.  But I did.  I caught her at about mile 17 and hung around for almost a mile.  My pace had slowed from high 6:40s to low 6:50s so it was time to go again.


I caught another guy the last mile on the Arsenal and stayed behind him for a while.  Picking these people off helped the miles go easier and made the Arsenal a good section.   I averaged 6:46 through the island.  The guy I caught had on long compression socks, black shorts, singlet, and a hat.  He also looked really strong, and I never passed him.  He finished one spot ahead of me.  I did pass pony tail guy in the picture below at mile 22.




I still felt good and at mile 20 and was at 2:16:20, or 6:48 pace.  I had managed to keep a very steady pace which was my biggest goal.  And a little boring by the way.


They say a marathon starts at mile 20.  In the past I would argue that it starts and 8, or 13.1, or on a good day 17.  But today it really started at 23.  I held on to 6:48 pace all the way through 23, but at 23 we turned back towards the finish, and right in to a headwind and the sun.  It was brutal.  I knew that I was right on the line.  I couldn't loose much time or I would miss my sub 3.


Long three miles short.  I put my head down and just kept moving.  I had some wiggle room in my time but not much.  I gave up time with each mile.  At mile 25, I calculated (yeah, me doing math in my head while tired = boo) that I needed to just hold a 7:30 pace and I should make it.  With each step I lost confidence in my chances.  Chad and Lizzie cheered, and told me I was right there.  I still didn't know if I could pull it off.

For the last three miles I had to fight off some serious demons.  I started to allow negative self talk.  "It's okay Chris, there is nothing wrong with a 3:01:00", "you are still going to get a PR", and just fighting to keep moving.  I didn't want to run anymore.  This supposed to be fun right?


Then I saw the clock...2:59:00 and ticking.  I picked it up and gave it my best.  2:59:20...2:59:30.  I'm almost there...fist pump...finish and the clock says 2:59:50.  I could not have cut it much closer.  I don't care.  Sub 3 is sub 3 right?  


I FINALLY RAN UNDER 3 HOURS.  Boo Yah!




________________________________________________

Post script

Teresa and I worked the QC marathon for 6 years and were never able to run the Quad Cities Marathon.  I thought it was a great course and run very well.  There was plenty of water, plenty of GU, good crowd support.

The last 6 miles was rough, but I can't remember any final six miles that I enjoyed.  If not for the wind, I might have enjoyed it.




What went well - Obviously, overall I am very pleased.  Pacing was good and that was the biggest piece.  I worked hard on staying mentally tough and positive.  I worked hard to stay relaxed and calm.  All of those were key.

What went not so well - The last three miles were killer.  I made it to the line on fumes.  I need to figure out if that was fitness or mental or both.  I ran this race to break 3 hours and not a second faster.  Now I wonder how much harder I could have gone?

I am going to take a few days off and probably run on Wednesday or Thursday.  I will not make a decision on the 50 miler until next week.  I am on the fence about that.  No need getting injured right now.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Brooks! It was a big day for everyone. It was great to see you come in under 3 hours. I was very impressed with your wife, as well.

    I wish I had done better, but that just means I have some work to do for the next time. It was awesome having everyone out there and be able to talk through the whole race.

    Good times.

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooksy,
    I'm going to get sappy on you here, so hold on :)

    Reading your blog for the race gives me chills and ALMOST brought a tear to my eye. I can see your competitive side coming out and it reminds me a little of myself. Not only can I see that side of you, but I see your true colors of how much you love running and how much you love reaching goals.

    I know I question your training a lot and give you a hard time, but I want you to know that you are an AWESOME training partner and no one can be more proud of you than I. Okay, well maybe your wife.

    I've been told and I've read, that you can't train your body past 20 miles. All of what you felt at the end is normal and you would have felt it regardless of the training you did or the food that you ate. What you need to know is that past 20 miles, the only thing you CAN train is your mind and you did that PERFECTLY.

    You physically and mentally trained yourself for a sub 3 and that is what you ran. To a 'T' Be happy with that and be PROUD of that. A) Not many people can say they have run a sub 3 hour marathon. B) You ran your game plan perfetly and that speaks MORE about a runner than any time or split can. Don't question if you COULD HAVE gone faster. You did all you could do on that day. Question whether you CAN go faster. Don't question if nutrition was right or wrong. You can't change it and you felt exactly the way you should have.

    I'm proud of you and your race! Enjoy your time off and PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come train with me again :)

    KF

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was totally amazing, Mr. Brooks. We were doing the math at each mile, and I knew you were on track to break 3, but Wisham was a bit more skeptical. When you came around on time at mile 20 we got a bit more excited and when we saw you at 2:58:30 we were freaking out- seriously. I think I actually did tear up, just for a second. I think Wisham and I actaully hugged.

    Way to go- you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - Amazing!! What a wonderful chronological account of the day! It did bring a tear to my eye!! CONGRATULATIONS!!
    LMB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-Congratulations!! You did it. Hope you are still glowing with pride. You earned it. And I think you have a future in blgging. I read it through until the end.
    Proud Big sis!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic accomplishment!! Compelling account-you have a future in writing, too. I am NOT prejudiced! Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete