Tuesday, July 28, 2009

First Post - First Pikes Peak Ascent


Okay, this my first attempt at a blog and my first post.  I got the idea from reading other people's blogs about the Pikes Peak Marathon and Ascent.  They have been very helpful for me in preparing for my first attempt at the Ascent next month.  That's a lot of firsts.

That is me, the nerd to the left a decked out in my Brooks running gear.  Yep, I'm a homer.

I have run 9 marathons (started 10, finished 9) and completed and Ironman.  Somehow this Pikes Peak Ascent has me a bit freaked out.  I suppose in part from reading all those other blogs.  Maybe this is a bad idea.

I live in the flats of West Des Moines Iowa.  I have done no altitude training and have done very little hill work.  It is difficult to do any true hill work here in Iowa.  The idea of running on a treadmill with elevation while it is so nice outside does not appeal to me at all.  I hope I don't pay the price for that??

Anyway, this is starting to sound too negative.  I look forward to this new challenge and hope to someday do the full marathon or even a double.  In October I will be doing my first 50 mile race in Madison Wisconsin.

For those that have heard of the Bix 7, I will do an update soon on how that race went for my 19th time.

No comments:

Post a Comment